As Christians it can be hard to admit that we are afraid. It can mean that we are admitting a lack of faith in the Lord. The definition of faith is complete trust or confidence in someone or something. Sometimes our fears are valid because they can protect us, like trusting your gut not to walk down that dark alley alone. But sometimes our fears are caused by believing lies and losing focus on Jesus!
What does the Bible say about fear?
God knows His people. He knows that sometimes we will be overcome with fear and that’s why He addresses the issue frequently throughout His word! So what does the Bible have to say to us when we are feeling afraid?
Fear isn’t from God!
“for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” -2 Timothy 1:7
God doesn’t want us to be filled with fear. He gives us the power of the Holy Spirit! If fear isn’t from God, it’s our duty to reject it and focus on the things He did give us.
Pray about everything and be thankful!
“do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” -Philippians 4:6-7 ESV
God is telling us instead of being anxious, pray! It may seem simple but it doesn’t mean it’s always easy. Sometimes it’s easier to give in to anxious thoughts but Christ wants so much more than that for us. He doesn’t just stop at telling us to pray! He tells us to be thankful in our prayers and we will be given peace that passes all understanding!
When we choose fear we are choosing to doubt God
“Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?” -Matthew 14:31 ESV
In this passage, Jesus is calling Peter to walk on water to Him but he gets scared and starts to sink. Peter stopped focusing on Jesus and started to focus on the waters! If he had stayed focused on Jesus he wouldn’t have had time to focus on how he would make it across what seemed impossible.
Worrying is pointless!
“And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest?” – Luke 12:25-26 ESV
Right here, Jesus is basically saying that being anxious won’t add anything to your life. Worrying won’t add any time to your life and if it can’t add to your life like Jesus does, why are you worried about it? If you continue this passage, which I highly recommend, He talks about how the flowers grow beautifully because God chooses to grow them that way. So if He is choosing to clothe the flowers so beautifully imagine how good He will be to you! He controls life and growth and beauty so why be anxious about those things when you aren’t in control of it anyway.
How to Overcome Fear By Having Faith
“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” -Matthew 11:28 ESV
Jesus tells us to go to Him! When we are afraid, lost, overwhelmed, or anxious. He says He is the answer. If you shift your focus to Him you won’t have time to think about anything else. That doesn’t mean that anxious thoughts won’t come. Here are some things you can do when fear strikes!
- Pray!!! And it doesn’t have to have a long prayer! In fact Jesus addresses that (Matthew 6:5) . Just tell Jesus exactly what you are thinking, He already knows anyway!
- Praise Him! Think about how good He is and thank Him. Put on some worship music and sing to Him or dance for Him!
- Read your Bible! This will look different in different seasons of life. I know it does for me! When you study the word of God you don’t have to read a certain amount of pages. It shouldn’t be something you just check off your list! Let God speak to you with one verse and think on that for the day.
- Seek Godly counsel! Find a Christian counselor, talk to the pastor of your church, or find a wise and more mature Christian to help you work through your fears, doubts, or anxious thoughts!
Fear is going to tell you that you are alone. It will tell you that no one will understand and you are better off keeping it to yourself. But the longer you sit in fear alone, the tighter fear is going to grip on to you. Let Jesus set you free! For my readers, I have a FREE sample of my Faith over Fear annual planner to help you get off on the right foot for the new year.
- Best Bible Verses for Teenage Girls
- Using Faith To Address Inner Conflict: Self Love Series
- How to Start Building a Garden with Kids
- How to Teach a Young Child about Easter
- Using A Gratitude Journal to Deepen Your Faith: Gratitude Series #6
- Use Gratitude Meditations & Affirmations To Boost Your Spirit Anytime: Gratitude Series #4